HP-3586B Selective Level Meter
The HP-3586B, while labeled as a Selective Level Meter, is really a very sophisticated hf receiver with an original cost of nearly $12,000 in 1992. This is not your every day long/short wave bang box but a very sensitive and selective receiver displaying the frequency of interest in digital format to a resolution of 1Hz. I've listed some of the functions and features in a tabular format in order to keep it simple. Without at least an Operating Manual you'll never be able to appreciate the full potentional of the SLM. Audio output is through a small speaker located in the bottom right corner and is NOT very good. Eventually we'll change it to something else. Go to the next page to really begin having fun.
The '3586C' is considered a 'general coverage' type and won't have options 001or 003 (see below).
Features and Functions
- Opt 001; 75 ohm conn. mates w/WECO 358A; 124 ohm conn. mates w/WECO 372A
- Opt 002; 1740Hz Equivalent Noise BW Filter Replaces 2000Hz Filter
- Opt 003; Impairment Functions: Impulse Noise, Phase Jitter, Noise/Tone, C-Message BW 3100Hz
- Opt 004; 10MHz High Stability Frequency Reference, oven stablized ... a $750.00 value.
- Frequency coverage - 50Hz to 32.5MHz (Listen to Jupiter on 27000 Hz)
- Digital Readout: Frequency, Incoming Signal level, Offsets etc......
- Multiple Antenna configurations i.e. multiple Z (impeadances)
- Measure carrier Frequency of Tuned Station (Modulation too)
- IEEE-488 Interface, HP-IB (i.e. computer control)
- Rack Mountable (with appropriate parts) (but don't, it's too heavy, 50 lbs.)
- Analog AND Digital db meter
- 9 Memory Storage of Favorite Selections (Note: Memory battery SHOULD be replaced)
- Tracking Generator Functions (0-32MHz Output: Tracking signal for network analysis)
- Automatic Calibration (Lasts for about 3 seconds at turn on or when selected)
- 600 ohm headphone plug
- USB/LSB Operation
- And the list goes on and on....
- NOTE: Turn your Pop-Up blocker OFF, I use Java-script to display the Pictures